When it comes to networking, one needs to know the different types of network cables according to the network topology being built. They are Twisted Pair cable, Fiber Optic, and Coaxial cable
Definition and Function
Network cable is a tool used to transmit signals from one place to another.
Network cable is made of copper wrapped in a protective covering. With the cable, various types of networks are formed. Whatever the type of network cable, it cannot stand alone and must be supported by other hardware.
Merits of Network cable over wireless
- With the cable, the network coverage will be wider than the use of wireless which utilizes radio signals for data transmission.
- Data transmission activities using cables are also less likely to be affected by weather disturbances compared to wireless.
- Another advantage of using a cable, the cost required to build a network is relatively cheaper than a wireless network.
- To look at the drawbacks, in order to make a wide network it takes a lot of cables.
- Cable channels must be neatly arranged and protected so that the cables do not bite mice.
Twisted Pair Cable
The first one we discuss here is the Twisted pair cable. This network cable consists of several cables in pairs. The Twisted-pair cable is divided into three.
UTP (Unshielded Twisted Pair)
STP (Shielded Twisted Pair)
FTP (Foil Twisted Pair).
Three types of Twisted Pair cables
UTP cable is a cable made of copper and has insulation that can protect the cable from physical damage, but UTP cable does not have protection from electromagnetic interference.
The quality of this cable meets the standards and is widely used because the price is more affordable.
Then the STP cable is not much different from UTP and FTP, but what makes this cable special is the protector in the cable which is in layers.
The strength of the protection on the STP cable does not need to be doubted, if the cable jacket on the FTP cable is opened, then you will see Foil shielding and Braided Shielding Insulator.
However, because the shape of the cable is too thick, this type of network cable belongs to the category of cable that is less flexible.
As for the FTP cable, its function is not much different from the UTP cable used for transmission media in making Global or LAN-based networks.
Advantages of FTP cable
In terms of quality, FTP cable is better than UTP cable. FTP cable has resistance to electromagnetic interference, the price is affordable, and the installation process is easy.
Disadvantages of FTP cable
However, the process of sending data on FTP cables tends to be slower than other cables.
Fiber Optic Cable
Cables used for networking have different types. These different types of cables are adapted to the needs, field conditions, and topology types.
The Twisted pair, Coaxial, and Fiber optic are 3 types of network cables commonly used, namely second type aree Fiber Optic Cables. Which are designed with copper fiber as the transmission medium.
Advantages of Fiber optic cable
The advantages of fiber optic cables are that they are not easy to tap, have a large bandwidth of up to 1GB, cover a wide area of up to 20 km, and are resistant to electromagnetic interference.
When viewed in terms of quality, the price of fiber optic cable is more expensive because it is made of good material.
The Disadvantage of Fiber optic cable
The process of installing this cable can be said to be quite complicated so that it requires really expert tools and personnel in case of damage.
The third type of network cable is coaxial cable, which has 2 conductors in the cable. The first cable is located in the middle of the cable, in the form of a copper wire core with a solid shape. The second cable is located in a metal shield that functions as a cable protector.
- Coaxial cable is very suitable if used for a network that has high bandwidth.
- The price of coaxial cable is more affordable than other types of cable.
- Another advantage of coaxial cable is its speed in data transmission, resulting in fast and widespread transmission.
- The process of installing a coaxial cable is quite complicated and requires high accuracy but is still easy to do.
- This type of network cable is susceptible to temperature and temperature extremes.
- It requires a repeater to reach a wider area.